Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Day 98 of 654 days of solace: seedling of childhood- meanderings of motherhood

It's an unusual week for me, and I find myself the sole parent of my 3 youngest children (4, if you count the child that practically lives here from next door!). Today we picked up around the house, then they went off and played in the room where they put up about 6 of our fan and hand a "fan party."  (We have no air conditioning but an abundance of fans.)

Nearing dinner time we went to Walmart and I bought lunch meats and cheeses from the deli, and we made impromptu tortilla wraps. (Have I mentioned I'll do anything to avoid making a full on dinner!)  Then we went to Lowe's and I bought plant food, and a 36 inch tall rose tree!  I got it for 15 dollars because it is drying in parts.  I was particularly excited because as I fell to sleep last night I saw a tree very much like it in my dream, and I couldn't help wondering if it was a special blessing just for me because of all the hurt in my soul.  Either way I feel very thankful to have something which will brighten up  my yard and my spirit!

The children were so excited about planted with me. I began weeding the flower bed, but I was unhappy to discover that my pink skirt was covered in a thousand angry ants! No wonder I kind of felt I was being stung on my legs!  In a panic I looked around to see if any neighbors were out, then I ripped off my skirt and went running inside the house!!  The kids were laughing so hard at me! But it was either be eaten alive or run inside with my undergarments! (Even though some people describe me as flamboyant I am sure even a self-respecting, quiet, reserved kind of female would have done the very same thing as me under the circumstances!!  Haha..and don't try to tell me otherwise! I am quick to adhere strictly to the book of social ettiquette and intelligence! ;))

I was sidetracked by those awful ants, until tomorrow when I try to spray them dead! But I did move elsewhere (after putting on new clothes) and my little 6 year old and I dug a large hole to put his pumpkin plant in.  It is the pumpkin plant he brought home from school several weeks ago, and we've watered it faithful. It was excited to finally get it planted.

And, the children still hadn't gotten tired of planting so they insisted we sprout some flower seeds in the potting soil we put in the empty egg crate and then I carefully watered it and lined it with foil so the egg carton wouldn't get wet and ruin the counter.  Oh did the children ever have so much fun choosing their favorite flower seeds!

Now here's the point of my long-winded writing of today...  Those little seeds are going to grow and become flowers.  But the most important seeds I will ever nurture are the little children that are mine to nourish with spiritual sunshine and life-given water.  They are growing and formulating ideas and they are growing spiritual and physically by the day.


Just like flowers though, if I don't nourish them and give them what they need they will wither.  Sure they may still grow, but they will be stunted or resistant to blooming if I keep them from the sunshine of God's love.

It's quite wordy tonight, but I wanted to document this day, and to remember that all my loving actions toward my children will ultimately yield the fruits of my labors. I hope we don't loose sight of that for not just our children (if we have them), but foremost for ourselves.  We can't be strong for others if we aren't nourishing ourselves!

Let's do something to nourish ourselves starting now,

Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!