Friday, June 17, 2016

Day 101 of 365 Days of solace: Boys, Boots, and Beauty

My son was bitten by our puppy
because he plays like a puppy!
You'll probably notice that there are some gaps in my numbers in my titles. That's because I don't have time to write everyday, but I do have sweet things happen that help me move forward, and I'm hoping that by the number 365 things will be far sweeter and happier. :)  Well, I can hope! Beside, life is still sweet, just very tumultuous, but all the while I try to find the bright side
 

Today my bright side was in various moments.

  • It was watching how excited my boys are to wear new cowboy boots that I bought them. 
  • Eating lunch at a nearby school for a free summer lunch program! (They love going and seeing what surprise lunch they'll be eating, and then they love playing on the playground.) 
  • Sitting in a book store rocking chair, and reading my 6 year old boy on my lap children's books. 
  • Going to a local thrift shop and playing in the toys, or playing dress up with the crazy high heel shoes! (I'd show you photos, but my cell phone was dead during the fun!)
  • M got stitches on Wednesday! :(
  • Cuddling with them while we watched a movie off of Amazon--- Belle and Sebastian. (May I recommend it whole-heartedly. It's family friendly, and clean-without swear words! Such a beautiful foreign film (but with English speaking over top) (It is not a comedy, but it is heartwarming- and even with some sadness, there is always hope.)
It's the movie I wish to address briefly.  In one part a man asks another person, "Are you going to let him travel home alone?" The reply, "Oh, he's not alone" In an effort not to spoil the movie I will just say that the journey home is a treacherous one, and it seems so very lonely to see him head off.

I considered the lonely terrain I travel currently. I consider the treacherous steeps I must climb. I considered the vast distance....and I felt sad. So sad that I cried. All the while my sweet 6 year old boy cuddled in my right arm, and my sweet 9 year old boy in my left arm kept looking up at me with strange curiosity.  They asked me why I was crying? I couldn't answer because I was feeling too emotional!

I was crying with bittersweet emotion.. I considered upon the loneliness of my journey, and I cried. I considered upon the final destination of home, and I cried! I thought about home in earthly terms, and Home in heavenly terms  

The word home is very dear to me because it represents a place of safety, shelter, love, and acceptance.  I felt that tonight as I sat cuddling with my two little boys.  They felt safe and content in my arms, and I felt so much love for them. I was indeed home.  

But sometimes we can be home and know that we aren't really home. And that it a topic for another day! But, I will say that I also cried because I know that I am not alone. I know that angels walk this earth, and move among us unseen.  But I KNOW that I have angels that walk with me, guard me, ,and comfort me.  I take solace in that knowledge.  I hope you will also.

As I knelt to pray tonight I had this hymn play into my thoughts, "Hark All Ye Nations." I have heard this on rare occasion, but what does it mean? I went and looked up the words and the scriptures, and I again found solace..



  1. 1. Hark, all ye nations!
    Hear heaven's voice
    Thru ev'ry land that all may rejoice!
    Angels of glory shout the refrain:
    Truth is restored again!
  2. (Chorus)
    Oh, how glorious from the throne above
    Shines the gospel light of truth and love!
    Bright as the sun, this heavenly ray
    Lights ev'ry land today.
  3. 2. Searching in darkness,   nations have wept;
    Watching for dawn,           their vigil they've kept. 
    All now rejoice; the long night is o'er.
    Truth is on earth once more!
  4. 3. Chosen by God to serve him below,
    To ev'ry land and people we'll go,
    Standing for truth with fervent accord,
    Teaching his holy word.
The message of that whole song is beautiful, but tonight verse 2 really stood out to me.
"Searching in darkness..watching for dawn, their vigil they've kept...now rejoice; the long night is o'er."  Oh, can you imagine such a sweet dawn that comes after such a dark era  of life. I can, and it is a beautiful sight!

I need you to understand that I do see so much beauty each day of my life, and I seek to find the hand of God in any direction I turn, and because of that He helps me to be aware of his beauties.  But, it doesn't mean that my life is free of sorrow and pain- in fact I carry a heavy burden. 

What I do know is that as long as I keep looking toward Christ I will ultimately reach my show of home after a lifetime of keeping vigil.

Vigil (translation-- only a partial definition)

: the act of keeping awake at times when sleep is customary; also : a period of wakefulness
: an act or period of watching or surveillance : watch <kept vigil at her bedside

I try hard to be alert, awake, and on guard at all times!
Let us unite our prayers for us, our loved ones, and our nations that we won't stray away from our loving father in heaven, and forget who we are, and what we are watching, praying, fighting for!

 19 Now, what do we hear in the gospel which we have received? A voice of agladness! A voice of mercy from heaven; and a voice of btruth out of the earth; glad tidings for the dead; a voice of gladness for the living and the dead; glad tidings of great cjoy. How beautiful upon the mountains are the dfeet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth! As the edews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them! (Doctrine and Covenants 128:19)
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/128.19?lang=eng#18 

No matter what journey home that you must travel, I know God can give you the strength and blessings to get there.  He can work miracles! Just watch and listen with a prayerful heart and you will see His hand in your life.

Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!