Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Shrink not to drink the bitter cup (Doctrine and Covenants 19:18)

Lately I've had two experience in which I've heard the words, "Shrink not to drink the bitter cup"  This phrase in it's original wording is from the scriptures:

Doctrine and Covenants 19:18 

"Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink "

   


I also think of Elder Neal A. Maxwell's talk "Endure It Well."  You can read it here: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1990/04/endure-it-well?lang=eng


"Patient endurance is to be distinguished from merely being “acted upon.” Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance; it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is to “act for ourselves” by magnifying what is allotted to us. (See Alma 29:3, 6.) If, for instance, we are always taking our temperature to see if we are happy, we will not be.  If we are constantly comparing to see if things are fair, we are not only being unrealistic, we are being unfair to ourselves.

Therefore, true enduring represents not merely the passage of time, but the passage of the soul—and not merely from A to B, but sometimes all the way from A to Z. To endure in faith and doeth God’s will. (See D&C 63:20; D&C 101:35) therefore involves much more than putting up with a circumstance.

Rather than shoulder-shrugging, true enduring is soul-trembling. Jesus bled not at a few, but “at every pore.” (D&C 19:18.) 
 Jesus in Gethsemane by Adam Abram --http://www.adamabram.com/gethsemane

Sometimes spiritual obedience requires us to “hold on” lovingly, such as to a rebellious child, while others cry, “Let go!” Enduring may likewise mean, however, “letting go,” when everything within us wants to “hold on,” such as to a loved one “appointed unto death.” (D&C 42:48.) Patient endurance permits us to cling to our faith in the Lord and our faith in His timing when we are being tossed about by the surf of circumstance. Even when a seeming undertow grasps us, somehow, in the tumbling, we are being carried forward, though battered and bruised." Neil A. Maxwell


One of my own personal experiences with this concept:
One morning about a month ago, as I knelt in  prayer I heard the words, "Shrink not to drink the bitter cup."   When I heard those words I replied back in prayer, "I will.  Please give me the strength to face the challenges that are ahead of me."   I thought I had an idea of how my life would kind of play out because God has been merciful to me in letting me know some things before this point.  But at that moment of declaring my firmness to following His will for my life, I really had only just begun to understand a small sampling of what I would face.  Had I known, I may have had far more apprehension!  

To add to that experience,  a couple of nights ago I had a dream in which I sat down to join a very small group of women, whose theme that meeting was, "Shrink not to drink the bitter cup."  I also heard a song as I sat there (still in the dream) It was a song of hope and comfort.  A song that let me know that there are also some joyful and 
amazing times of life ahead of me.  



The night before that dream I had woken up abruptly from my sleep to hear the song, "Line upon line precept on precept on precept that is how he teaches us." You can hear the song by clicking here:
  

Lyrics (from the play Saturday's Warriors):

It's like watching the stars appear at night. First one little light shines over there in the western sky. And then another, and then another. Until finally...well, look for yourself. A whole wonderful endless universe that began...with just one little star.

****
Line upon line, precept on precept. That is how he lifts us. That is how he teaches his children. Line upon line, precept on precept. Like a summer shower giving us each hour his wisdom.


Millions and billions of stars. And trillions more we can't even see.  A whole universe of  opportunity. Wouldn't it be tragic to just throw it all away because we can't see it all right this minute?

If we are patient, we shall see how the pieces fit together in harmony.
We'll know who we are in this big universe and then we'll live with him forever.
But until it happens...


Both: Line upon line, precept on precept .  Like a summer shower giving us each hour his wisdom.
Line upon line, upon line upon line, upon line upon line, upon line...
..


======
If we seek to know the will of God for our life he will enlighten and reveal to our minds and hearts the things we individually need to know, so that he can lead us along with his pure purposes and intents in mind.

This morning I had two scriptures come to mind:
1st Scripture: Doctrine and Covenants 58:3

    "Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation."

I will hold out faithful to God no matter what tribulation may beset me.  To experience His joy I will give my life and heart into his hands to mold me and shape me as he sees fit.

2nd Scripture:  Doctrine and Covenants 76:22 
 "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the atestimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he blives!"

I add my testimony to this.  No matter what may befall me in my life, I know that if I continue to seek His will and direction in all things, that God has some marvelous and miraculous things that he has prepared for me.  I only have but a small glimpse of those things.

I feel so thankful for a merciful and loving God, who sent his son to live and die for me that I can return home to Him again.  I am thankful that there is a way to repent.  I am thankful for the hope that I have in knowing I can become something more than I am now.

You too can become more than you are now.  No matter how dark your days, or discouraging your moments.  The Savior paved the way to our Father in Heaven.  If you don't know where to start, then just start with a prayer to know how to change who you are and to find comfort, and yes, even joy in the world you live.
Some days I wonder how I can ever become what he sees of me, but I know through Him I can.  I must work for it with great efforts to reap those rewards. And I will!   He won't just pour it out for me on a silver platter!  

 I love my Savior, Jesus Christ with all my heart and hope to prove that love each day of my life by my acts of service, sacrifice, and love.

Christine




My favorite source for spiritual comfort and direction is www.lds.org and www.mormon.org


What experiences have you had where God has helped you find peace?

If you have questions, I'll do my best to help you find some answers.

Christine



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!