Thursday, June 13, 2013

friendship and kitty litter


Until I get a better picture to put her, I will use one
I took of my daughter being filmed for television. :)

Today I took a disabled and aging
family member to an
appointment.   When I took her
home she asked if  I'd come in
and get her television working
again.  I fiddled with it a few
minutes and resolved the issues.
Since I don't have a picture of me
cleaning, I"ll show you an old one of
my little naughty babies many years ago!


In the process of fixing the T.V., I looked into a nearby bathroom.  I call it the "cat's bathroom."  The floor was covered with shredded toilet paper, and bits of stray kitty litter sand, and had a disheveled (though not filthy) appearance from her crazy cat, "Zipper."

I was tired and hot and wanted to get home to my family, but I decided that I'd pick up the things around the bathroom floor.  I was a bit dismayed to look in the bathtub and discover several months worth of kitty litter boxes filled and overflowing with cat droppings.  The smell and sight caused me to recoil.

I understood why this family member had let it go so long.  She is having a lot of health problems, and struggles to move and walk doing the simplest of things.  She'd been mustering up the energy and strength to do it.


Zipper cat perched on a shelf, watching me work!
In the meantime, she had just purchased a new kitty litter box to make sure the cat was well taken care of.   It was a deciding moment for me.  Do I choose to ignore her need, or do I just get to work and help ease her burdens by cleaning out the bathtub contents?

Now, I should tell you that I'm a bit of a "germaphobe."  Meaning, I never have loved cleaning toilets, changing poopy diapers, etc.. Over the years God has helped me overcome much of my anxiety regarding such things, but it's taken effort--and latex gloves to see me through on occasion!    So, you see, deciding to clean up a foul cat mess, was not on the top of my "favorite things to do" list!

Cat my little girl and I made from vintage fabric
I didn't take long to decide, because all I had to do was remember that if a specific friend of mine were in a similar situation he'd do his best to help.  This friend of mine, exemplifies the kind of person I want to be like (hardworking, dedicated, a true friend in times of need).  Often when I'm faced with a choice that the "old Christine" wouldn't want to do, I think of him, and the solution to the situation is simple.  Serve with all my heart.  This man, who loves God shows it by diligently serving those who are blessed to know him.

It's kind of a interesting, but as I began to dump about 30 pounds of litter remains into black trash bags, and worked on cleaning out the tub, the melody and words of a song came to my mind.  This song always reminds me of this friend.  It speaks the truth of what he is teaching me--to rise up and become a more valiant and dedicated woman.  (I'm sure it will be familiar!  It's from the Disney movie, Mulan.)
"Somehow I'll make a (wo:)man
Out of you.

" [men] BE A MAN
We must be swift as a coursing river
[men] BE A MAN
With all the force of a great typhoon
[men] BE A MAN
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon"
(The rest of the lyrics can be found here.)


Speaking of men!...Perhaps some of you will relate to this, but I didn't grow up learning to trust men.  Quite the opposite in fact.  I viewed men as unsafe, unpredictable, and unreliable.  However, in my life I have been blessed to know many good men.  I thankfully married one too!

Despite my experiences with good men, it's still hard sometimes for me to understand just how infinitely loving that our Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ are, because I didn't grow up with a father. And because of that, I didn't come to understand them.  (Gratefully, I was raised by my very brave, capable, and righteous Mom (who passed away 8 1/2 years ago).  But Dad's are different that Mom's, no matter how good the Mom is, they can't replace what a man offers a child.)

The one way I have gotten to know some of the characteristics of deity, is to look around and find examples of those willing to give their lives in the service of God.   You can identify them by their kindness, humility, acceptance, and service.  You can see it in their eyes, and countenance. This friend of mine, is one of those whom I look to and think,  "I want to be like him someday."

When I am tempted to choose the easier way, or the lazy way-- and just want to think of my own needs and wants--  I think of him.  In thinking of him, I am reminded that my ultimate example is Jesus Christ.  My friend is not perfect, but Jesus is.  (Remember that, when you choose your role models, because no matter how good they are--they'll let you down if you think they are perfect.)

Jesus Christ suffered, bled, and died for all of the sins of us here on earth.  It's quite hard to comprehend.  It's enough to know that he loves you with endless compassion, mercy, and grace.

Look for friends, and role models that emulate the teachings of Jesus and then work to pattern your lives after them.  But never lose sight on the fact that all that is good comes of God.  Don't let anything, or any person lead you any where but to things of God.

Pray to always keep your focus on Him who created you.  Know matter how good, people will sometimes fail you, but God never never will!  Look to God and live.

Here's a beautiful song to remind us to not only look for Godly friends to be around, but to be a friend to ourselves (and to others) with those same qualities.

"Well your friends know what's right 
and your friends know what's wrong
And your friends all know 

sometimes its hard to choose.
But the friend who helps you see 

where your choices will lead
Is the kind of friend you never want to lose.

"It's that friend who leads with love, 

doesn't push, doesn't shove
Just reminds you of the truth 

you've always known.
Then does more than just talk, 

takes your hand and starts to walk
By your side along the road 

that leads back home.

"And this friend seems to see 

all the great things you'll be
Even when some things you do would 

prove him wrong.
But he always believes that 

the real you he sees
Is a champion he's simply cheering on.


"And the love that you feel 
from a friend that is real
Is more powerful than anything on earth.
For it lifts and it grows 

and it strengthens and flows
It's what allows the soul 

to feel just what they're worth.
"So many lonely souls are calling
and the brightest stars would not be falling
if only they had a friend
a real friend


 
"Everyone hopes to find one true friend 

who's the kind They can count on 
for forever and a day.
Be that friend, be that kind 

that you prayed you might find
And you'll always have a best friend, 

come what may"

lyrics by Michael McLean

My prayers go out to you.  I hope that you will have some amazing, trustworthy, and "Christ-like" friends, to help you maneuver your way through the journey of life, so that you can make it back to our heavenly home safely.
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!