Friday, March 18, 2016

Day 12 of 365 days of solace- Friday biking, friendship, thousand cranes

 I continue to keep up my efforts to not allow a very difficult situation in my life to cause me to become depressed. Today I went out riding my bike, again, with my 8 year old- whom I call "my personal trainer," because he is so energetic!


He can ride uphill with ease, while I pant and moan!  But, today I told myself I would not walk at all. True to my word I kept my feet on the pedals- even up the hills of our community!  (I did have to change the gears, so that was possible, though!;)


On the way home, we stopped by my friends house.  My friend, L, has also been his teacher in primary, at our LDS (Mormon) church.  She is wonderful with the children, and he always likes to stop by and see her, or play on her children's jungle gym.  While visiting she showed us some emergency preparedness.

As some of you know, emergency preparedness is very important to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints (Mormons).  We are counseled and encouraged to keep food and water storage, have at least a 72 hour kit for each person, and have our homes in order, should a crisis arise!  You need only watch the news or look at a newspaper to understand how important this could be in a time of need-- or for that matter a time of a families unemployment.  We try hard to be self-sufficient.(Read more here at https://www.lds.org/topics/emergency-preparedness?lang=eng


 Today she showed me how to take half a cotton ball (you can use a whole one- but we did a test and they burn just about equally long), and rub in a dab of petroleum jelly, and then light the prepared cotton ball.  It burned about 3 minutes (Yes, we timed it!).  I've also heard you can burn a crayon, but I've never tried it.

My little S was a little nervous to get near it, but then I convinced him just to give it a gentle blow to see if it would start burning more. It didn't.  But I got this sweet picture of him. :)
S went home, I visited a few more minutes, then I went to get my daughter from a primary activity-- "Activity Girls." (Just one of the many wonderful programs in the Mormon church to help teach children of Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father, and to teach them skills.  Today, they made a painted canvas with a "Proclamation to the family" on it.  I will insert a picture of the proclamation.  The one she put on is the traditions word format...I just rather favor the more fun word format.  All the words are the
same, but it's more colorful!  :)

While I rode my bike, my sweet H. ran along beside me.  It was fun for me to watch her happy enthusiasm and have this time with her.

Later that evening, I went to the middle school to watch a school play.  Now, perhaps many of you respond with some skepticism that a school play could be good.... and I generally join that theory. I do love seeing my children in any play-- but I'd never say it was Broadway worthy.  However, tonight was the exception.  The play, "A Thousand Cranes" was remarkable.  The children were graceful, and acted well...and
if I'm going to be honest, I ended up sobbing!
I couldn't believe it myself.  CRYING during a school play.

Did I mention that this is a drama, about a little girl, Sadako, who dies ten years after an atomic bomb from the radiation.  There is a scene where she laid in a huddled ball on her hospital bed, and as she grabs her stomach cries out, "Oh I'm hurting so much, and I'm so lonely."

I'm not sure that is was just my private concerns, but the loneliness and pain really spoke to me!  And I had to do everything not to burst out sobbing loudly! Oy vey!

I also cried about death, and the thought of my Mom, and all those I love, who are now on the other side of the "veil." (See definition here)

I was worried about my children watching this play, but they weren't affected quite so emotionally!  Thank heavens!

"Besides," my 15 year old pointed out, "She got to go back and see her grandma again."  It's the truth, death is joyful for the ones who experience.  They get to return to a place of peace, and a state of restored health.  It's hard for those of us left behind though, isn't is?!

I'm thankful that I had such a wonderful day.  I'm even thankful for the tears that help to purify me, and help me to become more compassionate.  I continue to pray that I will have the eyes to see the beauty that Heavenly Father has placed before me. I pray that I will be humble and teachable. I pray that I will do His will above my own.  As I seek His will, I am blessed in countless way.


May your prayers be similar, and may you see all the beauty that surrounds you. It takes effort, but the peace that comes from trying to take the Savior's name upon us, is worth any amount of worldly wealth.  He is a treasure!

I hope you are finding reasons to be thankful,
Christine


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!