Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Day 38 of 365 Days of Solace: Emergency Preparedness

Okay, so I have listened to some wonderful BYU Speeches today, as I've organized my sewing room- but I really want to tell you a humorous, but important story about my 6 year old.

Here's the story:

I realized today that I've never taught my 6 year old what to do in an emergency. I asked him, "M, if I fell at hit my head on the bathtub or shower and I didn't get up, what would you do."
M's response: "call for Mom."
Me: "but you can't call for me, because I'm the one that's hurt, so what would you do to help me?"
M: "Hug you?" (He asked it like a question, but with hesitance-as it's all he could think of.)
Me: "That is a sweet idea, but a hug won't help me..."
and I proceeded to explain that it's not likely to happen, but there are
times when someone gets hurt and they need an ambulance to come. I them did a role play scenario of me passed out on my bed, and I first had him make sure I was not just asleep. I had him shake my arm, then my face ,and even had him try to pry open my eyes to make sure that I wasn't just sleeping.
A Funny 911 Report!!! 
I then had him practice dialing 911 several times. I explained how they would say "911 What's your emergency" and I even had him practice what to say. But first I let him answer that question without any direction. His response was, "I'd tell them my Mom's not working." I have to chuckle here, because he either thinks I'm not working--like a broken toy! or because I'm not working, because I do a LOT of housework!
ink emoticon It could go either way.
I then taught him some questions they might ask, and how to tell if I am breathing, etc...
Oops...I guess I better explain that we never just dial 911 for the fun of it!
If you haven't taught your children, or reminded them what to do--maybe today is a good day for that. smile emoticon
I hope you are well, dear readers. Remember to have a prayer in your heart at all times!GOD IS THE BEST SOURCE FOR SPIRITUAL LIFE CRISES! 
Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!