Sunday, April 17, 2016

42 days of 365 days of Solace: Once in a life-time Sabbath Day Miracle!


I practiced many hours to perform in a local LDS tabernacle. I thought that by miracle of God He would grant my voice back, if only for that day. He has blessed me with a soprano voice, which has
for almost my entire life been used to sing His praises.

Oh how I wanted to sing at the tabernacle this beautiful Spring Sabbath day,, but my voice was completely gone- due to laryngitis. I arrived at 8:30 am that morning for our final choir practice- still hoping for a miracle.

There at the start of practice, I silently slipped away from the choir practicing up in the choir platform.. I knelt on the red velvet-like carpet of the coat room, of this old and historic building. Alone in that sacred place I asked for a miracle from God. But as I stood up from kneeling, I knew my voice would not be given back to me, as He had another time, in college, given to me in a miraculous way.

With disappointment, I climbed those beautiful red carpeted stairs upon the glorious stage, which is surrounded by gold organ pipes and marbled beauty. My director paused to pull out the song to sing
Me and my son, after my day of singing in sign language.
next- which included a special part I was to sing. I told her in a hoarse whisper that I had lost my voice. With disappointment, she said, "Well, get it back!" We both knew that wasn't happening.  With that she selected another sister to sing my part.

I told her that I could sing in sign language. Or that I could sit down and watch from the audience.
Please note that the letters for "I," "E" and "Y"
are wrong.  The message is
"I love you" I like this, for that alone! :)
She said that sign language was a great idea, and told me exactly where to stand. I protested...repeatedly. But she insisted I stand there. So there I stood. Several feet to the right of her, and directly in front of the piano! (Though I moved over a foot so people could see her playing) I stopped protesting when a choir friend said, "You have to do what the director demands." So I did.

I had only wanted to join my voice in praise of the Lord. I thought I could be more discreet, and stand intermingled with the sopranos. Clearly, there was nothing discreet about standing before an audience of about a thousand people!

The conference started and I began to sign "Dearest Children God is Near You, watching o'er you day and night....." And there was clearly an energy as the audience watched me, and some of the faces of the stake leaders turned their faces back to watch me (as I stood behind them). As I sang, in voiceless song, I felt the power of the of the God's message.

This was not how I envisioned my singing- nor how I thought I could really praise the . I also didn't think this was the "miracle" the angel song spoke of as I slept! ("There can be miracles...") But, as I
heard comments of friends, and strangers, I began to believe this really was my miracle! I also realize that my fluency of sign was increased as I sang, because I had
"reminders" come to me, on how to better execute specific
lines of the songs.  I am thankful for God's mercy.

I was repeatedly told at the conclusion of that conference words of thanks, and how "it brought a special spirit to the meeting," and "God didn't want you to have your voice. This was His plan."

And today a friend from church emailed me and wrote, "You did a beautiful job!! I think you may have a new calling in life!! It was beautiful to watch you sing your heart out with your hands." Another ward member told my husband "it was so graceful, and almost like watching a hula dance."

I do not take credit for this. My ability to sign is a gift from a loving Heavenly Father. I was prepared
when I was just a youth. At 6 I was memorizing the sign language alphabet. At 15 I was talking to a deaf girl at our LDS youth camp, and at 18 I began spending years learning sign language far better
through deaf friends, college classes, clubs, and deaf branch, interpretting for deaf friends and devotionals, and so many opportunities which were shaping my gift of language. I just thought this was a special part of my life- but over the years I have been able to communicate to people who live in a world of audible silence.

What's so interesting is that the Spirit of God is usually a quiet voice- and while it comes in so many forms- sign language is one of those languages!

I am so thankful to a loving God, for blessing me on this kind of day! I'm thankful He filled my mind with memories of how to express my heart through dance-like hand motions. I am thankful that 20 years of not practicing my signing often, that I had clear ideas on how to express certain phrases to the songs!

I won't completely know the affect I had on this mass audience, but it was a heavenly time for me where I felt my spirit soar, in a way which is hard to compare- even to singing with my voice. Indeed, I was raised on the wings of love as I sang, "....we follow Christ, the Lord, And filled with hope through his pure love, we sing with one accord." (Faith in Every Footstep)


Miracle happen all the time, if you have eyes to see!
What miracles have you had? I'd love to hear!

Philippians 2:11
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Matthew 10:32
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

 I hope you find ways to confess the hand of the Lord, by first acknowledging his blessings and miracles in your life, and secondly by praising His name! As we do these things we will start taking notices of miracles small and great.  They may not come in the size or shape, or time we hope or expect, but they will come.  Just as mine did!

Christine

P.S. I have to admit something though.  There was a period of time, after my performance, that I
worried what awful things a couple of specific people had thought of me for being so central, and so dance-like. With the email from a friend (an answer to my prayer that someone would say something extra special to me), and the opportunity to speak to another friend and express my concern over what might of been thought of me for being in the middle of attention, I was able to find relief over my concerns.

Let us not be fooled.  Whenever we feel worried, and doubt ourselves, and feel small...those are feeling from the devil.

God does not ever make us feel like we are worthless.  When you feel that pray for Heavenly Father to help you have reminders that He loves you, and is taking care of your life.

Here are things I like to remember, to help me identify when it is, or is not, the voice of God helping us through life. God is light, love, and peace. Period.

Keep a prayer in your heart and move forward through each day.  You will get the help you seek, if you seek it with real intent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!