Sunday, October 4, 2015

Toward your "promised land!"



I was reading in 1 Nephi (in the Book of Mormon) asked myself, "Why did he bother to say that 'my
father dwelt in a tent?' What possible significance could there be?"

1 Nephi 2:15
Book of Mormon

"And my father dwelt in a tent."

I'm not a scriptorian, but to me this has taken on a special significance. I see the tent representing the quality of humility in Lehi.  (i.e. tent = humble)

Here's Lehi, a man of wealth and some prominence in his former community, and yet he is now at pretty much the worst possible position in life. Lehi,and his family are  no longer in a large estate, but in a tent.

Now maybe it's a tent of great beauty, color, and character... and there is some possibility of that in my mind- given that he was a man of wealth.  And yet, even if that were so, the tent represents to me that he is a man without a home to speak of.  Or, at very best, a man who is on a journey to somewhere of significance to him. (As I'm sure they owned tents for the same reason that we own RV's, camper trailers, or stay at a hotel- They used them for the means of traveling/moving.)

In modern times we do a lot of travel.  We journey to meet someone worth the effort, or to see something breathtaking (Like a beach! or the Swiss Alps), or to move and start a new life elsewhere.  Given the difficulties and dangers of journeys, which even the wealthy faced back then, I doubt many people travelled out of sheer entertainment, or adventure- like we do now.  They could not have flown, driven, or taken a luxury liner, which we can do in such ease and comfort, to visit friends and family, or to discover an exotic destination!

I just thought of this song: "Do you know where you're going to?
Do you like the things that life is showing you? 
Where are you going to? Do you know?"

I have heard this on rare occasion over the past few years, and until now, I didn't really understand what it was about, but I think I do now!  I think the Spirit of God is asking me...

Do you really understand where you are going to Christine?

Do you know what it's going to take to complete your own journey?

Do you know what you need when you get there?

Do you know what you must leave behind, so that you aren't more burdened down than you need to be?

Do you like the things that your journey has shown you so far? And if you don't, why not?  What reservations do you have about some of your "wilderness" experiences?"

Like Lehi, I am on a journey through my wilderness. Indeed, I am very much like Lehi, in that God has directed the course of my life into some very difficult, and in many ways- humbling circumstance. Circumstances in which it would have been easy to fight back like Laman or Lemuel, or complain as they did, but only if I was willing to lose God's precious care, direction, and blessings with the Holy Spirit.

My life, is filled with conditions and circumstances which most around me have little, if any comprehension, of why things have or are happening to me, which happened in the past, or which will yet happen.  And, try as others might to understand (for reasons of curiosity, judgement, or love), only God understands the full depth of my wearisome,and emotionally exhaustive journey through the desert of discipleship and experience.

And yet, while I myself understand, just a very small portion of why my "journey" toward my "promised land" has to be as difficult, and humbling as it has been, God assures me he will bring me safely there!  No matter what befalls me.

.... Oh wait, here comes a new song to my thoughts... (CLICK ON THE SONG Words to OPEN  new link tab, with the Youtube video. :)

"How can I hope to make you understand, 
why I do, what I do?  
Why I must travel to a distant land, 
Far from the home I love."
Once I was happily content to be
As I was, where I was, 
Close to the people who are close to me, 
Here in the home I love."
(Fiddler on the Roof)

How applicable this song is!  Indeed, like the song says, love does lead me forward.  Just as Lehi was driven forward in love! If it were't love that led Lehi on, he would not have given up all that he owned. He would not have sacrifices the comforts he knew, nor accepted the persecution, hostility, and resentment of his sons (and at times,even his wife).

I contend, that just like Lehi, I to am driven forth in my decisions toward a new "home." I am driven forward by love, hope. I am encouraged forward with the assurances of a brighter, "far better land of promise, beyond this veil oft tears." Alma 37:45 The hardships, Lehi faced are swallowed up in his desire to follow God.  Lehi is willing to give everything to Heavenly Father, because he knows that there is more beauty, joy, and peace in His care- than to be found without his guidance.

Lehi, is a prophet living in a tent, accepting his life without murmering, angry, and short-sided views of life.  Even at the worst of life, we never hear Lehi say, "I can't do this. I'm turning back."  No, Lehi has a vision (both literal and figurative). He understands that his destiny, and the destiny of his family, and so many others, depends on his ability to follow through with his duty to God- despite the heart aches, sorrows, longings, and challenges of all he must endure.

Ah the sweet music of heavenly messages! "I've got a name, I've got a name. (Jim Croce)"  Yes, Indeed! Lehi does have a name.  This name is etched upon Lehi's heart, and is defined well beyond the integrity and virtue of his own name.  Lehi's name takes on something of an indescribable and harmonious coupling of song, for  we understand that it is the Saviors name etched upon his heart!


Lehi honors the Savior by his undaunted efforts of discipleship and faith, amidst the obstacles of tremendous adversity and worldly efforts to humiliate him.  His vision, though limited, allows Lehi to see that there is a lot more to life, than shallow attachment to "gold, silver, and precious things," which will only rust, and decay in time.

Lehi's heart valued righteousness, and he sought to always hear and hearken to the will of God.  With the spiritual gift of faith he vanquishes his fears. With diligent discipleship he observes to walk carefully in paths of righteousness.  I hope that someday, it may be said of me that I was a woman of Lehi-like vision and love of the Lord.  For I do love Him!

I pray  for the courage to travel through my own personal wilderness-even if that means I have to humbly and meekly crawl through moments of my personal deserts of desolation, will reflect my willingness to remain diligent, and persevere to endure my "wilderness", no matter what the cost!   For God's promised blessings are always worth it!

Don't give up your dreams of your promised land.  Don't let other persuade you to take "any dream," beside the one you really want! No! "any dream will (NOT) do!" Dream with the direction of God! Dream BIG! Don't lose sight of your dreams...of your "promised land!"

Keep on believing! Keep on hoping!
Your promised land, is worth any sacrifice!

Christine




P.S.  For those of you interested in other symbols I have discovered (at least they are applicable to me, though I'm sure others may find other ways to apply the scriptures to their own lives.) , I will paste a few of my insights (in bold) below.

Chapter 1:
 
And it came to pass that he departed into thewilderness. And he left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and his silver, and his preciousthings, and took nothing with him, save it were his family,
and provisions, and tents, and departed into thewilderness.

I need to take great care in what literal and figurative things I take with me to my promised land! The journey will be rough, and I don't need any extra burdens.


Chapter 2:
 And he came down by the borders near the shore of theaRed Sea; and he traveled in the wilderness in the borders which are nearer the Red Sea; and he did travel in the wilderness with his family, 

To get to the promised land we must first travel through the wilderness. We are strengthened through the wilderness, and we have more gratitude for the promised land after having experiences so much hardship! I look forward to my promised land, which is overflowing with milk and honey!

And it came to pass that when he had traveled three days in the 
wilderness, he pitched his tent in a avalley by the side of a briver of water.
And it came to pass that he built an aaltar of bstones, and made an coffering unto the Lord, and gave dthanks untothe Lord our God.

I consider that, as with modern camping, they had to clear the area they wanted to live- thus removing debris, rocks, and soothing terrain. It was only until the tent was pitched, and land prepared, that Lehi made an altar to the Lord. (I define how I see this near the bottom of this blog. :)

I dissect this scripture to mean that I need to put my life in order, so that I can more carefully and more capably pursue the things of God. To me the preparing, and putting our lives in order, represents that we are willing to remove (literal/figurative sins and burdens), as we clean and purify our lives and develop a sturdy Christ-centered foundation of faith.

I think of the tent as our homes. (Tent=Home) And interchangeably I speak of my literal home that I live in, or the home of my spirit and my physical human body (my soul = body + spirit). Either way, the thought of "home" represents the need for a solid foundation. Without a solid foundation of the basic needs being met in either areas of home, it is very hard for anyone to really reach their higher potential- especially as it relates to things of God..

Stability yields spirituality. (I think I may have coined a new phrase! I haven't thought that concept through carefully, but currently it makes sense! I hope it will to you as well. :) I can't help but compare MY(?) phrase above- to our lives. It is only until we have prepared our homes and souls that we can effectively give and receive the abundance of life, which is available.  

Can we build our altars of sacrifice before the Lord, in good conscious? 

Did we do the best we could?  Or did we withhold anything?
 

And, just as with the altars in the temples of the Lord, can we dedicate our home and souls to be dedicated temples to the Lord? 

I hope that we each work very hard to succeed at dedicating every area of our lives to God. When we have prepared and done our best to place all we have and are before Heavenly Father, he will give us so much more in return! 

Side Note: In story form this concept of being prepares is like saying that the mayor of your community (or someone you respect, admire, and look up to.) comes to your door unexpectedly, and asks if he can come and visit with you. 

Would you feel comfortable having him see your home in a very messy or filthy condition? 

Or would you favor that type of discomfort, embarrassment, or shame, by welcoming the mayor (or,Your Mother in law! ;) into to a clean, well cared for home? 

Our home and souls are like this too- we either feel comfortable, or embarrassed of what we have to present.  Do we feel embarrassed of who we are? Or are we happy with who we are? 

Heavenly Father does love us perfectly. He love us, flaws and all. But wouldn't it please our loving Father in Heaven to see that we are trying to make His special gift - our lives- the very best they can be?! By taking care of God's gift, we are like a thankful child, who shows love and honor to a gift giver- by treating the gift with precious care and concern?

Heavenly Father should be the most respected company of our lives and souls, and it is imperative, for our own personal happiness and peace of mind, that we make needed changes to be able to welcome him with open arms--instead of trying to hide from him in a dark corner.
I know that some of you, who seek out, or stumble across this blog, feel so overwhelmed and confused in life. You don't know where to begin, or even know if it's worth the effort. I promise, I've been there. :(  It was a very dark time.

I guess I'd first, begin by PRAYING.  You don't need to say anything fancy.  
  • Just PRAY for God's direction. 
  • Pray that someone will come into your life, that can show you where to start. 
  • Pray with all the desire and sincerity of your heart to know God. 
Heavenly Father will teach you, if you listen and follow the help he places before you. 
(And I'll always be glad to give you any direction I can . Just drop me an email, or leave a comment.) 

*I'd also say that if you are clinically depressed, or have other types of issues, that you seek professional counseling. There is no shame in getting the help you need- be it for a broken arm or depression!
Heavenly Father loves you. You can change! You can begin anew! Through the power of the Savior's atonement, you can find hope and healing. Let today begin your journey of healing through Christ.

For answers to your questions- please go to www.mormon.org. There are people there to do live chats with you, and help you find direction.
=========
A note about Altars. Defined in the dictionary (per Merriam-Webster dictionary)
Full Definition of ALTAR 

1 : a usually raised structure or place on which sacrifices are offered or incense is burned in worship —often used figuratively to describe a thing given great or undue precedence or value especially at the cost of something else <sacrificed his family life on the altar of career advancement>
2: a table on which the eucharistic elements are consecrated or which serves as a center of worship or ritual
To me, Altars are figuratively built from the gifts we are willing to give Him, as well as the sacrifices we give up in donating the rough terrain of our lives (represented by rocks [and maybe some sticks!] ;) . Without unnecessary obstacles in our path, we can better know the only true and living God, and thus experience the peace, joy, and comfort which can only be found through Jesus Christ! I love Him! 

Neal A. Maxwell said something similar to what I am trying to say; (though it is a slightly different comparison) of sacrifice and altars. 

"Though heavy, discipleship's burden can be made light (see Matt. 11:30). The Lord can 'ease the burdens,' and/or our shoulders can be made strong enough that we 'may be able to bear it' (Mosiah 24:14; 1 Cor. 10:13).

"So it is that real, personal sacrifice never was placing an animal on the altar. Instead, it is a willingness to put the animal in us upon the altar and letting it be consumed! Such is the 'sacrifice unto the Lord … of a broken heart and a contrite spirit,' (D&C 59:8), a prerequisite to taking up the cross, while giving 'away all [our] sins' in order to 'know God' (Alma 22:18) for the denial of self precedes the full acceptance of Him."

- Neal A. Maxwell, "Deny Yourselves of All Ungodliness," Ensign, May 1995, pp. 66-68 

==========================

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!