Monday, September 8, 2014

Meditation

Last night as I knelt to pray at my soft recliner chair, I felt some worry over a future matter.  I asked a specific question of Heavenly Father.  As usual I stayed on my knees, and I meditated over things relating to this matter, and my worries over the possible dynamics.  I find that as I talk with Heavenly Father and think through thing that it allows me to clear my mind.  I have learned over the last couple of years that there is a difference between praying, and meditation.  It won't be easy to describe, but I will try to simply share those differences.

Here are the definitions from the dictionary.  (Phew!  Now I can spare you the 200 sentences I'd have used in trying to explain it myself!! ;)

    Definition of prayer (n)
    Bing Dictionary
    prayer
    [ prer ]

    1. address to God: a spoken or unspoken address to God, a deity, or a saint.
    2.  addressing of God: the act or practice of making spoken or unspoken addresses to God, a deity, or a saint
    3.  something wished for: something that is wanted or hoped for very much

    synonyms: entreaty · appeal · plea · request · desire · hope · wish · supplication
    Definition of meditation (n)
    Bing Dictionary
    med·i·ta·tion
    [ mèddi táysh'n ]

    1.  emptying or concentration of mind: the emptying of the mind of thoughts, or the concentration of the mind on one thing, in order to aid mental or spiritual development, 

    2.  contemplation, or relaxation
    3.  pondering of something: the act of thinking about something carefully, calmly, seriously, and for some time, or an instance of such thinking
    serious study of topic: an extended and serious study of a topic

Anyone can offer up a quick prayer in which they direct their questions to God.  
But meditation is the time when I feel the greatest communication occurs!!
Meditation takes a lot more effort, and more time.  

A lot of people complain about how they don't always remember their prayers or their scriptures, but I don't understand it.  If you could communicate with God and Heaven, wouldn't you?  
Well, you can.  And that comes by allowing your self to not just pray for direction, comfort, and answers, but also listening for those answers.

Honestly, listening is the hard part.  And sometimes you will think to yourself, "Maybe I imaged that word, thought, song, scripture, or long forgotten memory."  I have done that a lot in the course of my life.  But now, well now I pay attention.  I'm always trying to keep my spiritual ears open to hearing the Spirit of God.

I like to stay on my knees, and give myself the time to relax myself into a meditative state.  I describe meditation as not just a relaxed state of mind and body, but also a sleepy-like state.  In fact, it is not uncommon for me to kind of sleep, but still be praying, thinking, and mediating.

That's what I was doing last night, when a hymn played into my thoughts.  Immediately my mind became more alert, and aware that a song was playing into my thoughts.  A hymn, in this instance. I hummed into my little miniature hand held digital recorder the melody that was floating silently into my thoughts. (I got mine at Staples, but you can get it at Walmart, and many other places in store or online.  Make sure it has a USB port to transfer it to your computer.  That's how I send some songs to my music friends, so that can see if they can name a tune that I cannot name myself!)  

Last nights hymn was a familiar melody, and yet I couldn't seem to place any songs to it.  I took the few words I thought I knew and searched them at music.lds.org .  None of the hymns sounded like the one I was humming.  As I read through the list of hymns, the title of it came clearly to my thoughts.  I was excited that the Spirit of God was helping me, when on my own I could not remember the hymn.  It was:
"Lord, Dismiss us with Thy blessings"
I immediately went and looked up the words.  It appeared to be an answer to my prayer!  
Heavenly Father was letting me know I'd be taken care of.  Not only as it pertained to my worry, but in all things.

    1. Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing;
    Fill our hearts with joy and peace.
    Let us each, thy love possessing,
    Triumph in redeeming grace.
    Oh, refresh us, oh, refresh us,
    Trav'ling thru this wilderness.
    Oh, refresh us, oh, refresh us,
    Trav'ling thru this wilderness.
    2. Thanks we give and adoration
    For the gospel's joyful sound.
    May the fruits of thy salvation
    In our hearts and lives abound.
    Ever faithful, ever faithful
    To the truth may we be found.
    Ever faithful, ever faithful
    To the truth may we be found.
    Text: John Fawcett, 1740-1817
    Music: Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 1712-1778
    I like to read the associated scriptures to the hymns, and they proved even more exiting to me. There were some things that really stood out as answers to me.  Here's a couple of scriptures that stood out to me.
Psalms 31:
 23 alove the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord bpreserveth thecfaithful, and plentifully drewardeth the proud doer.
 24 Be of good acourage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that bhope in the Lord.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:
14 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, blessed art thou for what thou hast done; for thou hast ainquired of me, and behold, as often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit. If it had not been so, thou wouldst not have come to the place where thou art at this time.
 15 Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy amind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been benlightened by the cSpirit of truth;
 16 Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that aknowest thy thoughts and the bintents of thy cheart.
22 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might aknow concerning the truth of these things. 
23 Did I not speak apeace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater bwitness can you have than from God? 
Okay, I hesitate to share those scripture, because spiritual experiences are personal.  But I believe I have shared this experience with care.

You may wonder why I share it at all. I'll tell you!  I want you to know that Heavenly Father does hear and answer prayers.  He wants us to learn to remember Him, like He remembers us.  He wants us to be worthy to hear and receive the voice of the Spirit, so that we can have peace and comfort in our lives.

I promise you that if you seek with a pure heart to know the will of God for your life.  The truth of things you need to know to move forward, or special assurances to give you hope, (and much more) will be yours if you give God the same amount of attention (preferably more!) than you give your cell phone, Facebook, Youtube, movies, music, and any entertainment in life.

As you make wholesome choices, even though all around you people are doing just about any and every offense toward God, (You know, all the "freedoms" they think they have, but really are losing by careless, cowardly, or rebellious choices.) you will find more peace, joy, and freedom that you ever thought possible.

I used to think I could never change.  I used to believe there was no more happiness that I would ever feel.  I used to think I'd remain deficient all my life in learning how to love.  But truly, as I've given my life over to Heavenly Father, He's made so much more out of me and my life, than I could have ever dreamed.

Do, do you think you might like to try meditating?!  It takes some practice to relax and not stop short. Not all answers come immediately,but some will, and if you listen carefully you will hear heaven whisper answers, direction, and comfort to you.

Stay longer on your knees to pray.  Stay longer to listen, and meditate.  Quiet the noises of the world (like television, radio, and being "wired") and patiently pour out the anxieties of your heart to God in prayer and meditation, so you too can hear the voice of the divine as Martin Luther, Jr., I, and so many others have!

Heavenly Father wants to bless you, and he will if you try a little harder each day.
I have faith in your capacity to improve!

God bless you in your efforts,
Christine

P.S.  Sometimes you will not get answers directly on your knees.  After all, there are things to be done, people to serve, spouses, friends, and children to give attention to, and jobs to finish, BUT if you go about the minutes and hours of your day with a prayerful heart, many answers will come.  I've gotten answers at some very unexpected times-- while mopping, doing laundry, reading a story to my children.  God is pleased with us when we move forward with not just faith, but also with action.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!