Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Martin Luther King Jr. an Unfamiliar Story that gives Me Hope!

Since I've essentially lost a dear friend to the winds of fate and circumstance, my heart is not completely at peace.   Well, it is, and yet it isn't.  I miss my ability to express myself through emails and share the beautiful things I've read, or insights I have had that have helped buoy me up--always in hopes to inspire my friend.

Tonight, I feel that absence more than usual. Well, maybe about the same---- but usually I try to keep myself busily engaged in life and forget all that transpired. :\ I saw my friend face to face today, and I had to keep my silence-- even though I had so much I wanted to ask,  so much to learn and understand, so much to share with about God's mercy toward me and my family.

I don't like feeling melancholy over such matters.  More than anything, because I KNOW in very small portion, some of the amazing things my future holds.  And more than that, I don't need to look far to realize, that when all is said, and done I've been blessed in rich abundance.

Heavenly Father has truly blessed me, and continues to bless me.  There is NEVER a day I live or experience in which I do not see His hand and assurances that I am His child, and in his care.  So why then should I have any misgivings in my faith that He will take care of me?!

To top off my basic reason to be thankful, I have many more reasons.

  • I live in a safe, healthy community.  
  • I have 5 beautiful children. 
  • My husband is a good, righteous man--and lately has really been working hard to improve his spiritual side.  (Not to mention that when I went down to do laundry tonight, there wasn't really anything to do. He helps me to keep up on it!!:) 
  • I have friends who love and watch over me.  
  • I'm accepted warmly and with open arms at church.  
  • I have strength, energy, and relatively good health.  I am intelligent, capable, and creative.

And on and on the list could go on...

I listened to amazing BYU speech today as I cleaned out my fridge, and I realized some interesting things that I never knew.

I was particularly struck by a NEW STORY I read about Martin Luther King Jr.  I too have been having some doubts about circumstances playing out around me, and wondering if I'm holding on too long to a dream.  I worry that I care so much, when I should just move on, and forget my feelings, and in turn my hopes of a different future I see for our family.

I am inspired by these words of a speech, entitled: Healing = Courage + Action + Grace  by Jonathan G. Sandberg

     And in honor of Martin Luther King Jr., who was recently listed in Ted Stewart’s The Mark of a Giant2 as one of seven people who changed the world, I start with an example from his life that so clearly highlights these principles. Look for courage, action, and grace as I read his words:
     Almost immediately after the [bus boycott] started we had begun to receive threatening telephone calls and letters. They increased as time went on. . . .One night . . . I couldn’t sleep. It seemed that all of my fears had come down on me at once. . . .
     . . . I had heard these things before, but for some reason that night it got to me. . . . I went to the kitchen and . . . I sat there and thought about a beautiful little daughter who had just been born. . . . I started thinking about a dedicated and loyal wife, who was over there asleep. And she could be taken from me, or I could be taken from her. And I got to the point that I couldn’t take it any longer. . . . With my head in my hands, I bowed over the kitchen table and prayed aloud . . . : “Lord, I’m down here trying to do what’s right. I think I’m right. I am here taking a stand for what I believe is right. But Lord, I must confess that I’m weak now, I’m faltering. I’m losing my courage. Now, I am afraid. . . . I have nothing left. I’ve come to the point where I can’t face it alone.”
     It seemed as though I could hear the quiet assurance of an inner voice saying: “Martin Luther, stand up for righteousness. Stand up for justice. Stand up for truth. And lo, I will be with you. Even until the end of the world.”I tell you . . . I heard the voice of Jesus saying still to fight on. He promised never to leave me alone. At that moment I experienced the presence of the Divine as I had never experienced Him before. Almost at once my fears began to go. My uncertainty disappeared. I was ready to face anything.3
     Can you see in this example the pathway to healing? Courage to face a difficult situation and stand for truth, acting in faith by turning to God in prayer, and peace and strength from the Lord through His grace—courage, action, grace.
I know that this will pass over--- eventually.  But until then I will remember my experiences of divinity, and those of Martin Luther, and I will also take heart in the hymn: Be Still My Soul.  I believe every word of it!!!



1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697;
trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897

Even now a song plays into my mind to remind me that the Lord will take care of me, and that He keeps his promises, and that he will deliver me--just as he did his people so long ago.  I take such comfort for these Hebrew words that quietly played into my thoughts...

"Ashira l'adonai ki ga'oh ga'ah
Ashira l'adonai ki ga'oh ga'ah
Michamocha, ba-elim adonai
Michamocha nedar-bakodesh
Nachitah v'chasd'cha, am zu ga'alta
Nachitah v'chasd'cha, am zu gaalta
Ashira, Ashira, Ashira..."

Translation:
"I will sing unto Adonai for He has triumphed gloriously.
I will sing unto Adonai for He has triumphed gloriously.
Who is like You, O Adondai, among the gods?
Who is like You, glorious in holiness?
In Your mercy, you lead the people You redeemed.
In Your mercy, you lead the people You redeemed.
I will sing, I will sing, I will sing..."

(Based on the song Moses sings in Exodus 15:1-18-from the song: When You Believe.  Prince of Egypt.)

 Then asang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto theLord, and spake, saying, I will bsing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
 The aLord is my bstrength and song, and he is become mycsalvation: he is my God, and I will dprepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will eexalt him.

I am loved by Heavenly Father, and so are you.  Pray for His direction.  Listen to the quiet words, thoughts, songs, and memories that will play into your thoughts at the most unexpected moments.  If you listen, you also will see God's hand in your life.  

My warm regards, Christine




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!