Thursday, October 9, 2014

"Meet the Mormons"

I have see a bit of discussion going on around the internet regarding the movie, "Meet the Mormons," as well as the changing of social media icon.  |

As I am Mormon, I would like to share with you my take on things.

Here's the thing.  You may have noticed that some of your social media friends have changed their profile pictures to read "I'm a Mormon."  We are doing this to raise awareness of who we are, and the uniqueness of our personalities.

It's rather late though, and I've had a full day of cleanings, more cleaning, and still more cleaning!.( trust me....that happens more often that I'd like, because my 5 children (particularly my 2 youngest boys) are very active!!)  so I am going to paste here a comment I have made elsewhere on the internet.  I think it sums up most of my feelings pretty well.  


Tangent: Don't worry, I also played play dough, cars, and found patterns and fabric to make a Halloween costume (fairy) that my 9 year old designed. I have also read, weeded, done too many dishes to count! ;) ,cleaned toilets (etc.), made meals, and even rested a little bit.  We also had family scripture and prayer.  I visited with my sweet neighbor, and she shared some garden produce with me. I particularly enjoyed the fresh basil and tomatoes---It's been a rewarding day.

Okay, hopefully you don't mind hearing that little bit about my day. I sometimes feel some concern that my readers think there isn't substance to me-- but as I have stated elsewhere--  My goal and aim for this blog is to increase spiritual awareness in the chaotic world we live, and also to encourage and support YOU-- in whatever circumstance you find yourself.

There is hope and healing.  I know, I have been recipient to God's many miracles!  You can change who you are for the better.  You can improve whatever circumstance you find yourself.  Keep trying!!

=====Okay..without further ado... Here is a comment I wrote earlier today on other social media forums.
====
(This reply was in response to two different people, who won't change their profile picture. ---Which
I don't have any deep seeded issue with... BUT I needed/wanted to make my position clear for why I chose to post this photo!)

"I took your points into consideration, but I decided that I want to be a missionary. You see, after reading your article-and those of commenter's, I felt a bit embarrassed that I might possibly put the "I'm a Mormon" icon on my Facebook page. I didn't like that feeling!! I should never be ashamed by the potentially fallible points brought up. We aren't sharing it to show we are some elite social club, or showing high school snobbery, or any number of reasons people expressed herein.

The claim that "I'm a Mormon" and come watch "Meet the Mormon's" is a worthy goal, and aim, with several purposes. (Here's just 5 reasons to consider--Not mentioning the beautiful music by David Archuleta!:)



1. We want to inspire others to do good in whatever place they stand, or circumstance they find themselves. No matter what their religious preference of beliefs. This movie will do just that! (And there will be no missionaries standing at the doors to pass out fliers. The movie is not only intended to inspire, but it is also intended to help promote dialogue, acceptance, and understanding for the people we really are--and not the mistaken identity some people would try to apply to "Mormon's" or member's of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints.

2. We want them to understand who we are and what we stand for. And yes, to feel free to ask us questions they may have. Some of our friends may not know we are Mormon. It is also intended to help promote dialogue, acceptance, and understanding for the people we really are--and not the mistaken identity some people would try to apply to "Mormon's" or member's of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints.

3. If you are a person, worthy of representing the name of "Mormon" of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints--- it could be a great missionary tool! So beautifully put by Elder Bednar during this recent conference:

https://www.lds.org/general.../2014/10/come-and-see...

"Devoted disciples of Jesus Christ always have been and always will be valiant missionaries. A missionary is a follower of Christ who testifies of Him as the Redeemer and proclaims the truths of His gospel.
"The Church of Jesus Christ always has been and always will be a missionary church. The individual members of the Savior’s Church have accepted the solemn obligation to assist in fulfilling the divine commission given by the Lord to His Apostles, as recorded in the New Testament:
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
“Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen” (Matthew 28:19–20).
"Latter-day Saints take seriously this responsibility to teach all people in all nations about the Lord Jesus Christ and His restored gospel. We believe the same Church founded by the Savior anciently has been reestablished on the earth by Him in the latter days. The doctrine, principles, priesthood authority, ordinances, and covenants of His gospel are found today in His Church."
"When we invite you to attend church with us or to learn with the full-time missionaries, we are not trying to sell you a product. As members of the Church, we do not receive prizes or bonus points in a heavenly contest. We are not seeking simply to increase the numerical size of the Church. And most importantly, we are not attempting to coerce you to believe as we do. We are inviting you to hear the restored truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ so you can study, ponder, pray, and come to know for yourself if the things we are sharing with you are true."
"Some of you may respond, “But I already believe in Jesus and follow His teachings,” or “I am not sure if God really exists.” Our invitations to you are not an attempt to diminish your religious tradition or life experience. Bring all that you know is true, good, and praiseworthy—and test our message. Just as Jesus beckoned two of His disciples to “come and see” (John 1:39), so we urge you to come and see if the restored gospel of Jesus Christ enlarges and enriches that which you already believe to be true."
Elder Bednar continues by sharing a very true and funny story, and then makes a PROFOUND point:
"....What happened next is most important. The injured brother gathered up the remaining bandages and the almost empty tube of ointment, and he went back outside. He quickly sought out his friends and began to put ointment and bandages on their arms. Susan and I both were struck by the sincerity, enthusiasm, and rapidity of his response."
"Why did that little boy do what he did? Please note that he immediately and intuitively wanted to give to his friends the very thing that had helped him when he was hurt. That little boy did not have to be urged, challenged, prompted, or goaded to act. His desire to share was the natural consequence of a most helpful and beneficial personal experience."
"Many of us as adults behave in precisely the same way when we find a treatment or medication that alleviates pain with which we have long suffered, or we receive counsel that enables us to face challenges with courage and perplexities with patience. Sharing with other people things that are most meaningful to us or have helped us is not unusual at all."

5. 100% of the net profit from the movie "Meet the Mormons" goes to the Red Cross. Talk

about a tremendous humanitarian effort!  I am sure the victims, from any given disaster type, will feel grateful for the comforts and blessings that brings! (What a wonderful way for each of us to make a difference in our world!)

I wish you the best,
Christine"

P.S. I hope you will go and see this movie!!!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I just saw the movie, "Meet the Mormons." It's not a traditional movie------like, say, a Disney film. And, initially, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't show more about the first two people they covered. But by the end I was truly moved, and inspired to do more, and become more, in my realm of influence.

    I LOVE that this film is giving 100% of the proceeds to The American Red Cross!!! So think of going as your way of giving back to society.

    I would highly recommend this film to anyone. Alone or with a friend, I believe you will enjoy it. The cinematography is beautiful, and the message is genuine and sincere. You will learn more about what "Mormons' believe (A.K.A. The Church of Jesus-Christ of latter-day Saints), but more than anything, I hope you walk out of the theater having hope that you too can become more than any difficult or traumatic circumstances you were raised in.

    No matter where you are walking this very moment, or whatever set of emotions you are experiencing, there is always a way to find peace and happiness in your life--- no matter what your religious beliefs or view points. God bless you! Christine- The Dreamers Art

    P.S. In my opinion the trailers don't do it justice. But it you'd like to see where it is near you. Or request it to come where you are, then check out their official page. --And hear the new and "Glorious" David Archuleta song-- FREE

    http://meetthemormons.com/#/filter-all/page-1

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!