Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Day 252 of 365 days of Solace: My Unforgettable Birthday

This "new (happier) chapter" of my life has been filled with many blessings from God. He has helped to squeeze the depths of sorrow out of my soul like a bitter tube of toothpaste and has replaced the contents of my life with joy. Joy, beyond words. Joy which moves me beyond the unanswered questions of life.

The joy I feel comes with a new confidence and perspective myself. A confidence that comes through faith and power of Jesus Christ's atonement. I no longer worry what others are thinking about me. Namely, the opinions of one person. I still care for their well-being, but I don't worry if I can be acceptable and approved of by them. Opinions certainly influence me, but I don't give the same power to the opinions of others now.  Heavenly Father is the end all opinion that I care about. It's been an indescribable experience!

Which reminds me of a powerful message I heard as I did my makeup this morning:

"Because our conduit of connection with God has become clogged, we increasingly reach out to people around us—mortals like ourselves—for help and support. We gain a sense of security and direction from the opinions of others expressed through social media, blogspots, emails, self-help books, and numerous other sources. But the danger here is that all mortal knowing is by nature limited and flawed. ...Even if the “flesh” we rely on is our own mental capacity and even if we’re blessed with genius-level abilities, there will still always be something that we can’t see or that we fail to understand. The flesh is always limited, unless it is complemented by the power of the Spirit."
"When we lose contact with our spiritual abilities, we are easily led to assume that truth is a matter of consensus. To the mortal mind, the more widely something is believed, the more truth it seems to have. Often, with our mortal thinking, we fail to understand that even if a particular idea has received a hundred million “likes,” if it doesn’t receive the one “like” that really matters—that is, the stamp of testimony through the power of the Holy Spirit of God—it still remains merely mortal opinion and is therefore inadequate and limited. If we aren’t careful, when we slip into complete trust in our mortal modes of perceiving, we will find ourselves truly on our own, reliant only on our limited personal abilities as we wander through the vast cyber-foyer of media and public opinion...."
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/michelle-stott-james_empty-centers-fire-lord/
Five of my very special gifts from God! My children!
Today I turned 46! I was blessed to spend several hours of my day with a friend who has finally returned to the LDS temple after a 20 year absence!  I was so proud of her because it required, on her part, a lot of change and sacrifices for God. I've envisioned this day for her for years, and I was thrilled when she finally made the decision that she wanted this enough to sacrifice for it.

I went to bed last night with a disappointment on my heart, but God assured me through songs of comfort in the night that I would have a wonderful day today. Those songs reminded me of just how loved I am, and reminded me that my smile bring happiness to others. I don't completely comprehend how, but I felt the warmth of love in my heart, and I slept with happy anticipation for how my birthday would go!

My friend came and picked me up this morning. As I stepped into her car the song, "she shall have music wherever she goes" played into my thoughts. I smiled because I so appreciate the gift of angelic music God has given me. 

I sat down in the car and with her permission I asked for special blessings upon our day, and I invited the Spirit of God to join us and teach us.  

After arriving, and dressing all in white, we sat in the chapel. I wished a friend of ours had been able to attend, but as I slept I knew I would have another dear friend there. I just wasn't sure who. So I waited to see. My heart beating like Christmas morning!  Imagine my surprise when our mutual friend walked in! A friend, who is none other than my stake president. I have always felt his pure, Christ-like love for me. And Contrary to the fact that we aren't blood related, I feel like I have a brother in him, and it is always a joy for me to see him for that reason.

I knew it was no coincidence that Heavenly Father had brought him to my specific temple session to alleviate my disappointment and sadness of last night. It was a delight to spend this time with my friend, and stake president and his wife. Truly a Tender Mercy from the Lord to again remind me that His hand is in my life, and that I will not be forgotten or rejected by Him  --ever!

My girl friend cried and said she felt the presence of her mom and dad during the session, who have both passed away in the last year or two. She described how thrilling it was to be there, and how she tried to take in every word she was hearing. Her hands were even shaking with excitement. I was happy that she felt the importance of the covenants we were there making to God in how would will live our lives, and how we look to Him in all things.  

She suggested lunch after the 2 hour session. Long story short, a kind, older man had overheard me talking to my Stake President about it being my birthday. He offered to give me my birthday swats with his cane!!! Haha. "No thank you!"  But then he joked for me to have a piece of cake on him. I walked off to the cafeteria giggling, but expected nothing. 

Later that night I made a teasing face at my boy because
he has been my birthday thief for 7 years now! His birthday
is on the 12 of November, and he claims my b-day as his own!
Well, that man came down the the cafeteria a few minutes later and bought the lunches for my friend and I--as well as the dessert. Well he paid for all of it, except my dessert!! Because the kitchen chef/baker waived my pie because it is my birthday! I hugged and thanked Brother J. Hernandez, after he bought our lunch, and then off he hobbled telling this "bright, smiling young lady" to have a "happy birthday!"  I felt so thankful for his kindness, and that of the head chef! More blessings from God!

Here he is 4 days earlier. But, you don't see me blowing out
his candles!! ;) :) 
As I sat down to eat, my girl friend said she had been the one who wanted to buy me lunch to celebrate my birthday. I reminded her that while I love to celebrate my birthday, the real celebration of this day was in celebrating her re-birth.  She immediately understood the sober truth of what I said, and she reflectively replied, "Yes, that is very true." 

As we sat and visited I told her I come once or twice a week, and I'd love to come with her. She surprised me when she said we could come every Wednesday at the same time.  I was thrilled, and agreed that it was a perfect time for me too!

(quotes below are from the talk above)

"The gospel and the commandments of God are not a cage that keeps us from succeeding in the world. They are the wings that help us to soar to heights of success that we, with our mortal faculties, can’t even dream of on our own...."



Sister Neill F. Marriott.... asserted,  


Love is making space in your life for
someone else.”


This truth is valid, not just for our children or our family but for our relationship with God as well.
We show love for Christ by making space in our lives for Him.

This means consciously devoting time every day to seriously studying His words, meditating on the scriptures that teach of Him, and praying to know Him, utilizing both our mortal and our spiritual forms of perception. 
Take note of the Christmas tree that my children set up on
the 14th of November!! Haha! Coldstone cake. I love ganache.
In addition to making space in our lives for Christ, there is yet another way in which we demonstrate our love. As author Catherine Galasso-Vigorito asserted:
Love is not a special way of feeling, though lovely feelings come now and then. But real love is a commitment to live and care for another person. When that love is God’s love, it reaches out to all the people around you automatically. You just can’t help caring and sharing from the heart.8
Our service to God’s children is a visible sign of our love for Him. As we willingly serve others, we become a conduit through which His love flows to touch the lives of everyone around us. 

Can you tell my little boy likes Pokemon!
Well, I'm going to go eat a cold stone cake soon, which my sister bought me (but that I created!) :) I just wanted to share a few thoughts.  These aren't all the wonderful blessings of my day, or week, but they show a glimpse of God's goodness and mercy toward His children.

I hope you will consider how you can make room in your life to show your love for Christ.

I will close with a beautiful sentiment of truth:

"October 2014 general conference President Dieter F. Uchtdorf exclaimed:
"I offer you my personal witness that spiritual truth will fill your heart and bring light to your spirit. It will reveal to you pure intelligence with wonderful joy and heavenly peace. . . .
". . . If you seek God’s truth, that which now may appear dim, out of focus, and distant will gradually be revealed and clarified and become close to your heart by the light of God’s grace. Glorious spiritual vistas, unimaginable to the human eye, will be revealed to you."
Keep working toward those vistas which only God can help you see!
Christine

P.S. I asked my stake president afterward why he came today. (I wondered if someone had told me if my friend was coming there that day.) He replied that his wife said this morning that she wanted to go at that time.  I smiled and told him I had a story to tell him about his wife being inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!