Friday, June 23, 2017

"Sorrows forgot, love's purest joys remain"


Just now, at 2:08 pm, I heard these words from an LDS hymn ""Sorrows forgot, love's purest joys remain." How sweet they are to my heavy heart.

1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697;
trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897
====

Today I'm feeling a bit low as I was struck with some insight of those I call friends. And it is hurting my heart. There is rarely anything that can be done when someone wrongs us, or misunderstands us. What we can do is kneel to pray, and that is just what I have done this morning.

I knelt and told Heavenly Father that I know he has all power. I prayed for greater meekness and humility. I prayed to be at peace when there are people who are not completely kind to me. I prayed that they might understand me better, but I prayed to ultimately accept His will, even when they don't understand. I told Him how thankful I am for his protection and blessings, and I listened to several things I'm grateful for. I told Him that I trust him completely, and I prayed that I would give all my fears into his hands.

I prayed many things, and I took comfort in kneeling before my creator. I took comfort in knowing that He has truly blessed me and directed my life this far. I know He will continue to do so, as I give my will to Him, and as I do my part for righteousness.

Of course, God does have all power, but he also respects our agency. He won't make us be good. He won't make us walk a certain road. But when we do listen to His Spirt, and walk circumspectly before Him, He rejoices. He delights in granting us blessings, which stem out of our righteous efforts, and our willingness to give Him all we have and are.

My husband and children--with a photo bomber on the far left!! True Story!
Those few words that God brought into my mind seem so simple, yet are so profound. As we walk through the darkness, the fear and sorrow can be all-consuming. And yet, when we step back into the light of joy and comfort, the depth and expanse of those sorrows are almost completely forgotten.

It's that way with childbirth too. I experienced a great deal of agonizing pain in my 5 deliveries of my children, but now I can remember so little of what I felt. If I do remember, I can express the details only on a logical level- not on the emotional or physical level of what I was going through! It's amazing how joy can wipe away those memories of pain!

There are just going to be days we don't feel our happiest. That's part of life. On those days you may do some of what I try to do... pray, read scriptures, clean & organize in my home, listen to BYU devotionals or LDS General Conference Talks, walk, sew, draw, or listen to happy music. Those things are healthy ways to process emotional pain, and they will hopefully help as they do me.

But ultimately we must elevate out thoughts to see beyond the storms of this moment. We must tell ourselves positive, grateful, hopeful thoughts. Thoughts that declare that God will give us the strength to get through. Words that declare that Jesus Christ saved us through His atonement and that with His power we will be victorious!

But, at this moment, I can honestly say that I can hardly wait until "loves purest joys remain!" :)

Hugs!
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!