Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Childhood Trauma




My boys in the Dentist office.
Today, as we were driving to the dentist (for tooth cleanings) my 10 year old son said something that took me by surprise. He said that he only sits in the middle of our van because it's the safest place to sit. He then added that his friend Jason died in the car accident because he was sitting by the door.

I told him I didn't realize that he felt that way, but I expressed that I thought it was Jason's time to return home to Heavenly Father and that he would likely have died wherever he'd been sitting.

I didn't express it (okay, maybe a few tears), but in my heart I felt a sense of sadness to see just how the trauma of a friend, and classmate dying, could affect my son's feelings about where he sat in a vehicle.

Some people underestimate the power that traumas may play to the psyche, but just this small exchange with my son was a powerful reminder of how delicate we are in this mortal sphere.

I am so grateful for the atonement of Jesus Christ. I am thankful that through Him we can pick up our crosses each day and learn how to more bravely follow Him, even when it seems we can't take one more step.

With the power of Christ, I have found that I can take not just one more step, but many more! Each
small effort keeps adding up to miles and miles I never dreamed possible that I'd be able to walk.

These steps have come at a high price of sacrifice and a willing heart, but somehow I find that with each new day I can make it through- as long as I have the help of the Lord!





I'm so thankful to God for my many blessings. I'm thankful for the healing and strength that can come through Christ! Healing takes time and effort, but it's worth the fight! Let us keep carrying our crosses and follow Christ. Through Him, we will have victory!


Matthew 16:24–25:

Then said Jesus unto his disciples,
If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, 
and take up
his cross, 
and follow me.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: 
and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Have hope, for through Christ we can be victorious!
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!