Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 118 of 365 days of Solace: Independence Day Service

Today I went to a fourth of July parade with my family.  I felt thankful that God had given me the strength and energy to go and not feel tired.  I remember last year that I felt so tired. I remember sitting on a chair most of that parade from lethargy.


The streets were crowded with scores of people and I was worried we wouldn't find a place to put our camp chairs.  But then I saw it!  A spot of grass in between a tree and a shade tent some people had set up.  It was only about 4 feet wide, but it would work just fine.

I noticed a man standing near the tree seemed
apprehensive.  I asked if he'd like to sit on one of our spare camp chairs. I learned why he had a look of worry on his face with his reply, "Well, I'm fine but my parents are coming and they are going to need a place, maybe my Mom could use it." Oh, I realized now why he was worried, but when they came there was room for his parents too. :)

However, his wife seemed a bit disagreeable.  She would not let their boys run out to catch candy, but instead made them sit on the edge (on her or her grandparent's laps).  She went up to my children (and me) standing in the road to get candy to step aside and leave an opening so her boys could see.  I have to be honest, I found it irritating!  This is a parade and thousands of children are lining the streets to run and catch candy.

My children tried to respect her invisible bubble, but I felt slight irritations over that!  I just prayed it wouldn't bother me, because it was not something I should take personally.

I can't tell you when it happened by I started to notice the needs of others. Maybe it was when my 11
Here's that sweet girl! :)
year old picked up a piece of candy near her that mom's son, and instead of keeping it she handed it too him.  Or maybe it's when another little girl, about the age of 12 caught the soft pink pig that my 15 year old daughter had run for, but instead of keeping it "fair and square" the girl gave it to my daughter!  Who then gave it to her pig-obsessed 9 year old brother!!

Maybe it was seeing the elderly gentleman with oxygen slowly reaching down for a stray piece of candy that came flying near us. Pleasantly I said, "Here let me get that for you." (After all, I didn't want him to think I was trying to steal his candy, so I gave a heads up of why I was reaching for it.) I handed it to him and our fingers brushed, and I looked up at him to see his smiling face of appreciation.
I then surveyed his group and saw a lot of elderly folks, and I decided to get them some candy because that back row spot wasn't an ideal candy catching location!

However it happened, I began finding ways to serve people. I used my pocket scissors to cut off the tops of the icee pops, or help little children get treats or prizes.
 Another time I noticed an older woman sitting in a big white
truck watching the parade in the heat of the day.  I went to take a bottle of water, but I turned back and decided instead to take my cooler bag of waters.  When I walked the 100 feet over to the truck I smiled and said, "Would you like some water? I bet it's hot in the truck."  She thanked me and smiled, and  as I handed the water in I saw that there were 4 aging adults, and one younger woman all snuggly fit into the cab of the truck.  So I handed in 5 waters.  I walked away, and wondered if they were even thirsty, but I wasn't going to second guess a deed meant in thoughtfulness.
It's strange, but doing little acts of service for complete strangers
was very satisfying. I felt a happy, worthwhile feeling in my existence.  Prior to that time, the parade was just a not too terribly exciting event for me. I had just come to add richness of experience to the life of my children, instead of just staying at home doing nothing.  But being able to see beyond the heat, crowds, and irritation of that Mom helped me to create a more dynamic and fulfilling experience of heart.

The Missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints were a big hit!
That's how each day of our lives need to be--living with purpose.  Despite frustrations of self or others, we can try to create happy atmospheres that are meaningful to us, and those around us.


I have long had a testimony of service, but today was just another reminder that even ordinary moments can become extraordinary once we look outside of ourselves and try to see ways that we might brighten the lives of others.  So go out, and pray for the vision of how you can make the world a better place! :)

Happy 4th of July!
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!