Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Day 175 of 365 days of Solace: A sincere apology

Recently I went to exchange a defective 8x10" print from a local store. I explained to the man about the defective print the night prior. The man at the counter was a gruff, grumpy man and he used rude, disrespectful tones to speak to me. I gave a sharp reply to him, and he consented to let me exchange the prints out. 

Without looking up at him, I studied the graphic image I'd spent the entire day working on to get just right. The irony was that the image was none other than that of Jesus Christ!! - a painting by artist, Del Parson, which I modified the background, coloration, and added text and flourishes to suit my needs (a gift for a friend). Looking at Jesus I knew I needed to apologize-- even though the circumstances SEEMed to warrant a like reply.

Looking down at the pictures, I simply said, "I'm sorry for being snappy with you. I was just really taken off guard by how you spoke to me." He said nothing, and I kept busy comparing which of the two prints to get. I chose the most beautiful of prints (which if you are interested was without the in-store automatic color correct on. The other was far too blue looking!)

I made my choice, and only look down at his hands we switched pictures. I was about to walk off and leave an unpleasant situation. I said in passing, "Again, I'm sorry for how I spoke," but I had the thought to look up at him, so I did. As our eyes met, it was as if something in him softened, and the previous attitude of his had melted. He smiled at me, raised his hand up to me, and with a wave he said, "Have a good day." He didn't ever apologize, but his apology was in his new kindness toward me. I felt very thankful to feel that sweetness of life. 

It was odd that my determination to apologize, and then to look at him made such a dramatic difference, but it did.  And I would propose that anytime we can humble ourselves and apologize, even though we may feel justified in our words or actions, that beautiful things can happen in our lives!


I'd love to hear about a time that you found the power of apology transformed a situation in your life! Please share!
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!