Sunday, November 3, 2013

"Heaven Is Here"

I've been reading the book "Heaven Is Here," by Stephanie Nielson. She is a survivor of a life altering airplane crash. She was seriously burned on 80% of her body. 

Here are some questions I had upon reading the book and how I felt they were answered for me.  Perhaps they will encourage you also.



Q: What is the eternal significance of experiencing pain and hardship?  
A: "He (President Jeffrey R. Holland--a beloved LDS religious leader) greeted us warmly, 'It's so good to see you, Stephanie.  I'm so thrilled to see you're up and walking.'  
":As we talked he told me to be proud of my scars, "We look for Christ's scars
because they are evidence of what He did for us.  They'll be the first things He shows us when we 
see Him again. 
Your scars tell a story, too.  Although they may not make you feel attractive, they are a witness of a miracle, that God blessed you to live, and that you have accomplished very difficult things.'"

Q: How did she deal with no longer being the same pretty she was? (Though in truth I think Stephani "NieNie" is radiant and beautiful as she is!)

A:  Beautiful possession and material comforts are wonderful, and looking and feeling great are blessings, too.  But the connection I had with my Heavenly Father and other people--my husband, children, parents, siblings, and friends, has always been the priorities in my life.  I hope I appreciated how lucky I was to have these things before the accident.  I know I have been thankful every day since." Stephanie Nielson page 300 (Heaven is Here)

"I realized along the way that ultimately nothing they did could make me happy.  I felt comforted by family and my faith, but peace was different from happiness.  At first I thought stubbornly that the only thing that that would make me happy was for life to look like it did before the accident.  But no one could give that to me, and no one else could make me happy.  Happiness was my choice, and though it is hard won, I am the only person who can stand in the way of it.  

As I gradually accepted my responsibility to choose happiness every day, I rediscovered the beautiful life I had always wanted. I will have to remind myself to choose happiness almost every morning when I when wake up in pain, and I expect I will need reminding thorough out my life, but the amazing thing is the more I make the choice to see and feel joy, the more joy there is to see and to feel."  Stephanie Nielson, Heaven Is Here, page 300-301.

Q.How did her children deal with such a traumatic experience?
A. There were some big stumbling blocks for her children to overcome, because of her appearance, but children are resilient, and God can and does work miracles-.  

On page 306 she writes "I will never know all that my children went through, or all the ways they have been changed, what what I do know is, today, their future is just as bright as it was before the accident"  Stephanie Nielson (her blog here)
--Reading those words gave me comfort.  No matter what mistakes I've made as a parent.  (And I've made plenty) No matter what guilt I have over choices in my past with them.  No matter how I've failed them...in the end What matters most is CHOOSING NOW to ensure that I'm doing MY BEST to give them a BRIGHT TODAY and a BRIGHT TOMORROW--- That requires REPENTANCE-- which means more than just changing our lives for the better, but also means working to progressively improving each day.


Q.  How did people view her?  Could those who love her REALLY see past the scars?

A.  Somehow --despite her physical appearance and her complete disability, she was loved in ways I struggle to completely understand.   In her book she shares the loving and un-sympathetic responses to her appearance. As many (if not all) of us
understand,  real love isn't based on conditions.  Real love accepts us for the whole of us, despite our imperfections.
===
In reading this book, I was left to wonder what it would be like if  I were stripped of beauty and my abilities, I am certain it would be a challenge to think I could be loved for the beauty of my heart.   Logically, I know that's how Heavenly Father and Jesus, see each one of us with complete love.  

I know because I have learned this in some deeply personal ways that resonate to my heart, as I've prayerfully longed to understand.  I have found that love has often been shown by those around me.  Be it thoughtful acts by friends and family, or the hugs and kisses of my most adoring fans-- my children!  Sadly,  all too often, logic and emotions fight against each other.
My emotional hesitations to believe in my inner beauty and worth,  come because the world has long judged me on my face, or the cute way I wear my clothes.  I have been granted favors and opportunities many times based purely on my appearance, and without my heart being visible to those bestowing upon me privileges.  That's the injustice of societie's mentality and unfair standards of beauty--which is never weighed on God's scale of beauty.


All I have ever wanted is to be loved for the goodness and intents of my heart,  but somewhere along the line, I began to believe that somehow my inner-value and worth was dependent upon my outer beauty,or on the talents I've developed.  God ONLY looks at our heart to determine our beauty--My talents or appearance should only be used to glorify God.  We cannot give in to the lie that those things really matter to our worth. They do NOT.


With logical and spiritual capacity, 
I am absolutely certain that pure love can see beyond the limits of the physical appearance.  

If I have the capacity to love others, even if they don't look or act flawlessly, then why would I assume less for those who genuinely love me?!  ---I guess I have some things to learn :\  I hope and believe that with prayer and service in God's kingdom I will come to understand that I can be LOVED for what I am on the inside.  Not what's on the outside.  


Beauty often and easily fades with age, 
or  life taking an unexpected turn for the worse (permanent or short term--as with me below).  
Without understanding God's vision 
of real beauty 
we cannot find real peace.  
Yes!  That's me (Christine) and unexpectedly I looked like a 90 year old woman.  Mangoes are life-threatening to me!:(
I better understand now that all the seen and unseen scars of our heart, 
can --IF we allow them too-- remind us and help us become more like the Savior of the world, --Jesus Christ.  

I know that after reading what Stephanie wrote in sharing the words of
Jeffrey R. Holland (learn more about him and read his speeches here!  that I certainly do.  

I also took the words of Stephanie's book and her determination of spirit o realize that despite pain and exhaustion WE CANNOT GIVE UP.  Fighting and winning, is worth it ALL!  Fighting for righteousness helps us to overcome any tragedy, trauma, or trial we may face.   Determination is how we fight against  hopelessness. Through the refining process of pain and heart aches, we one day wake up to realize that through each little patient step we take we have finally overcome a major obstacle.  And in essence we have reach the mountain peak of our beautiful dreams

A Personal Experience--------------------------------------------
One morning as I knelt to pray this song quietly played into the memory of my thoughts.



Believe me, 
if all those endearing young charms,
Which I gaze on so fondly to-day,
Were to change by to-morrow, 
and fleet in my arms,
Live fairy-gifts fading away,
Thou wouldst still be adored
as this moment thou art,
Let thy loveliness fade as it will,
And around the dear ruin each wish of my heart
Would entwine itself verdantly still.


It is not while beauty and youth 

are thine own,

And thy cheeks unprofaned by a tear,

That the fervor and faith 
of a soul may be known,

To which 

time will but make thee 
more dear!



No, the heart that has truly loved 
never forgets,

But as truly 
loves on to the close,
As the sunflower turns on her god when he sets
The same look which she turned when he rose! 
I have a lot of learning to do, but  with all my heart I want to become like Jesus.  I want to love more purely and unselfishly.  I want to give my life more willingly to our Heavenly Father.  I want to learn to sing His praises no matter what circumstances I find myself in.

I've recently taken comfort from these scriptures on "courage."

Psalms 27:14










  • Old Testament

  • Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord

1 Chronicles 19:13

  • Old Testament
Be of good courage, and let us behave ourselves valiantly for our people, and for the cities of our God: and let the Lord do that which is good in his sight. 

Deuteronomy 31:6

  • Old Testament
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. 

I hope that wherever life finds you, 


or where your travels lead,  

that you will look to our brother, and Savior, Jesus Chris.


 It is ONLY through His Atonement, that we can find the Grace (Enabling Power) to overcome all the obstacles we each have.)



May All His Blessings Be Yours,

Christine 


P.S. If you would like to know more about how to rely on 
Christ's strength, and how you can find improvement and greater peace in your life, then please visit my friends at www.Mormon.org.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice with your comment.

Like Button

I'm happy you stopped by. Please, share it with a friend!